The Area 72 Language Steering Committee was established in 2017 and provides specific ASL and Spanish information, interpretation and translation services.
The Panel 71 Language Steering Committee (LSC) is composed of the Appointed Area Language Coordinator who also serves the committee as the Spanish Interpreter Coordinator, Appointed Area Accessibility Chair, ASL Calendar Coordinator, ASL interpreter Coordinator and Past Delegate. All committee members have an interest in the 12 Traditions, general service, and language translation and interpretation.
Information. The ASL calendar is maintained by the LSC and made available to the Area.
Interpretation. When requested by members needing Spanish or ASL interpretation, the LSC may schedule interpreters at certain Area events such as:
- Area 72 Quarterlies (January, April, and July)
- Area 72 Assembly (October)
- GSR & DCM Universities
Spanish or ASL interpretation may also be scheduled for select standing committee quarterlies provided timely requests by members needing Spanish or ASL interpretation request interpreters and attend the quarterly meetings. There are times where requests may be unfilled for reasons related to fiscal responsibility. The LSC operates within a budget approved by the Area body and may need to make difficult decisions if requests for interpreters exceed the language budget. The Area will not pay for any interpretation services used for interpretation at events. That responsibility falls to the group coordinating the event.
Interpretation equipment, which is inventoried and stored by the LSC, can be loaned out for Area standing committees, districts, and groups to use. There will be some entities that will have priority over others if there are conflicting requests. All requests go through the Language Chair.
Translation. The LSC manages language translation projects for the Area Committee, such as Area quarterly and assembly minutes, appointed and elected officer reports, the Area Handbook, committee quarterly fliers and meeting agendas.
Area 72’s Language Related Actions
- 2006 Area 72 requests the ASL version of the Big Book in DVD (motion 06.1)
- Spanish Translated Newsletter
- Area 72’s newsletters containing the Area’s four quarterly business meeting minutes will be translated into Spanish (motion 07.2)
- Translated newsletters of at least those containing business meeting notes will be distributed to Spanish Language Districts ideally within 30 days or less of the English versions (motion 18.5)
- Area funded interpretation and translation
- The Area will pay for approved requests for interpretation and/or translation at the three Area quarterlies and annual Area Assembly (motion 09.1)
- Translation projects will be managed by the Language Steering Committee (motions 17.3 and 17.4)
- Linguistic Districts
- Spanish-speaking groups have their own intergroup, “Oficina Intergrupal Hispana Del Oeste” in South Seattle. (from Our Stories Disclose, 2nd edition)
- Spanish-speaking groups formed their own linguistic district on the west side within Area 72; DCM 1 was seated for this new district. (from Area’s Q3 business minutes)
- Language Coordinator
- Area 72 created a new Area appointed officer position and Language Steering Committee for language translation and interpretation (motion 06.1)
How to reach us. email@example.com